Let’s be real, reading in 2019 went to pot. Don’t get me wrong, I read a few books. I started even more with every intent to finish. But alas, reading was not given the proper energy it deserves or needs.
I read something this week that really struck a chord with me as this new year has begun. (It was also from the first book of the year I have finished. Hooray!!) I not only desire to give reading the energy and focus needed, but recognize how reading , and really what we read, truly can impact our heart and mind. Some of the books that stand out in my mind are books that have challenged, moved and shifted something in my heart.
“Our relationships and our reading reveal our personal growth, or lack of it. And they influence the direction of that growth: deep and wide, or sparse and shallow.”Work that God Sees: Allied by Shannon Guerra
So here’s to another year of reading, and also a year of growth!
- Work that God Sees, prayerful motherhood in the midst of the overwhelm, ALLIED by Shannon Guerra
- A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet: Southern Stories of Faith, Family, and Fifteen Pounds of Bacon by Sophie Hudson
- Beyond the Golden Hour by Vince Guerra
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown
- Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts by Jennie Allen
“Keep reading! It’s one of the most marvelous adventures that anyone can have.”