Today I turned 32 years old. I still find it a bit hard to believe. Some days I don’t feel a day over 25 and others I feel, well, older. And just because I know you are dying to know, I decided to share with you 32 things you may or may not know about me. (Can’t wait till I turn 50 and get to do this; that’ll be one nice long list!)
Without further ado and in no particular order…
1. Green is my all time favorite color.
2. I love winter; the scarves, coats, chilly days and especially the snow. Don’t give me a winter without snow; it’s just not right.
3. I love New York pizza. Need I say more?
4. I am an 80’s girl. Some of my favorite movies and music come from that decade.
5. As much as I try to “cutify” my wardrobe, deep down I am just a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl.
6. I love to read. I don’t make the time for it like I should, but it is so soothing to sit down with a good book.
7. Growing up I used to hate orange juice and tomatoes. Thankfully I have seen the light! (And just recently tried fresh squeezed OJ; oh sweet Jesus opened up the heavens and I relished in the goodness of fresh squeezed OJ!!)
8. Growing up I also hated the color pink. Ironic now that my daughter LOVES the color pink.
9. Both my oldest brother and the huzband are named Juan. (Not technically about me but hey, it’s my list.)
10. From grades K through 12 I attended 11 different schools in 3 different U.S. states and Puerto Rico. Yah, we moved a lot. Let’s not even get into how many colleges I attended.
11. I am named after my great Grandmother on my father’s side, Grandma Rae (Rachel).
12. I have a niece whose middle name is Rae (after me, duh). I’m pretty honored and still wonder if my brother was telling me the truth! =)
13. I was adopted when I was 3 weeks old.
14. I’ve been saying this since I was in middle school but I have the most talented brothers a little sister could have. One is an undeniably talented musician and the other is beyond a doubt an extremely gifted artist. I do love to brag about them but how did I end up with the short end of the stick?
15. I can’t believe I’m not even half way through yet.
16. I don’t drink coffee.
17. My college roommate Julie-bird taught me how to snowboard and I loved it instantly. (Obviously with all the snow!! See #2.)
18. I really do love to watch movies. Some say it might be a bit of a problem, I don’t see it.
19. I’m not going to mention my love for Coke (who doesn’t know that!), however did you know there was a season in my life that I preferred diet Coke over regular Coke. GAG!!! I can’t bare to think of how I was lured away from Coke by its evil other half diet! Never again!
20. I am running my very first marathon, the NYC Marathon with Team World Vision. You can find out more about it and/or support me by sponsoring a child. Go here.
21. Becoming a mother truly did change me. I felt like I literally watched my heart become so soft and vulnerable; as if it had no rib cage or skin to protect it, just left wide open to the world. I have become so much more sensitive and compassionate because of motherhood.
22. Our little V was not planned at all, yet I can not picture a better life without her! Though unplanned, God knew she was what we needed!
23. I have a love for illegal immigrants in this country; it is no wonder since I married one.
24. Are you still reading this? You are such a good friend; even I’m falling asleep writing it!! =)
25. Shy does not even describe me growing up. I was so quite, timid and introverted. Kids used to think I was stuck up because I wouldn’t talk. Once you got to know me it was a whole different story.
26. Because of my introvertedness (word? possibly not), I journaled a lot growing up and still do today. It was a safe outlet for me to share all I was thinking and feeling. Today it has become a way for me to communicate with God, to mull over the things He brings to light or things going on in life.
27. I love to swim. I’m a fish when it comes to water, always have been, probably always will be. One of my summer jobs after high school was as a life guard. BEST JOB EVER for a 17 year old!!
28. I get my hair cut maybe once a year, if I’m lucky. And by lucky I mean get off my but and go get it done.
29. I grew up with two older brothers and always wanted a sister. I am beyond thankful for the women my brothers married because they truly are my sisters. I sometimes feel bad because I forget about my brothers and just want to hang with the girls! I just love to be with them so very much!
30. I’ve been living in this house for over a year and I barely have anything on our walls. It’s sad really.
31. I am so thankful for my family, not just my little family but my parents, siblings, in-laws, and extended family. There are some uniquely creative, intelligent and gifted individuals in this group of crazy’s. In spite of all that though, what I am truly thankful for is the love and encouragement we give each other. I know my family supports me, truly cares for me and will tell me the truth even if it does hurt. It’s just not something you see every day and I don’t want to take for granted that this group of crazy weirdo’s really do love each other! (Don’t get me wrong, we drive each other nuts as well, hence why we are spread out across the country, however as Gramps used to say, “we don’t get stuck on the small stuff”.
32. My entire being relies solely on God. Everything I have, everything I am is because of His Grace. I truly cannot live without Him and that is something I do not want to forget.